Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Train (time fades away) by Kevin Kavanagh

Train (time fades away)

The train pulls away,and I enter my carriage.
It's filled with the same piercing silences that fill
the halls of home. For now,I fill my seat.
I have no destination,possessing barely a thought
for that notion.

Leaving was easy. Daily the white noise came,
crushing in its monotony.

But the noises here are real. The cups and cutlery
clatter as the tea trolley passes my seat,drawing
interest from the woman opposite me. Her voice
fills the carriage for the first time,feeding my
anxious mind with thoughts.

The polite code of silence is otherwise adhered,
save for those children who knew no better.
Everyone sits,silently judging and painting stories
of what one would imagine of another's life.
Each of us unable to face ourselves

The train swallows the land,as time fades away

No comments:

Post a Comment